A lot of Amazon Kindle Fire users have been hit with a message about low storage space or less memory on their devices. One reason for this problem is that the apps that are installed on the Kindle Fire are running in background, performing certain operations that consume both memory and storage. There are few ways to solve this problem and clean up your Amazon Kindle Fire.
Recommended Resource: Kindle Fire HD: The Missing Manual
Use Kindle Cloud Storage
For people who don’t know, Amazon Kindle tablets come with Kindle Cloud Storage that is theoretically limitless. What you can do is
- Use Kindle Cloud Storage for storing files that you do not use regularly.
- Only download stuff from the Cloud that you need.
- Open “Apps” from the menu at the top of the Carousel home page
- Toggle between “Cloud” and “Device” in the buttons at the top to see where your apps are
Free up space taken by apps’ private data
The apps that you download on your Kindle Fire take up additional space due to their background services that run constantly. You can remove the extra space taken by these apps by doing the following.
- Go to Menu by swiping down from top to bottom.
- You will see options. Tap More.
- Under More sub menu, go to Device and then Storage.
- Scroll down to “Apps and Games.” Here you will see how much space apps have taken on your device.
- Tap on Apps and Games and delete any app that you don’t need to have installed on the device (remember, it is safely stored in the “Cloud” for re-download later!).
Connect the device with PC and delete useless data
Another solution to this problem is to connect Kindle fire with PC using the mini-USB cable to see which files are present on the device. A lot of users find this solution helpful. A lot of files were shown on the PC and not visible in Kindle Fire. Just delete the files that you see after connecting your device. Several users found movie files this way that seemed invisible otherwise.
There are few apps that are available in the app store that you can install to automatically clean up space and memory. One of them is Clean Master app. The app is great for few reasons
- The app itself is very small and takes just few MBs of space.
- Unlike other apps, this app does not take up additional storage after installation.
- Oh, did we forget to mention…it’s FREE! (get it HERE)
Just install the app on Kindle Fire and tap the App Manager button in order to see all the apps currently on your device and the amount of space they are taking up. Just tick the box next to each app you want to uninstall and then hit the big red button at the bottom of the screen to do so. If you want more information about the app, its terminology, and how to use it, tap the three vertical dots at the top right corner of the main screen, and select “FAQ”.
UPDATE (November 2015): Chuck writes in the comments that he uses the ES File Explorer app to manage space on his Kindle. Looks like a great alternative, allowing you to see exactly how much space is dedicated to each kind of media you have on your device. Check it out HERE.
Happy cleaning on your Kindle Fire!
You may also like: Five Ways to Improve Kindle Fire Battery Life (NEW!)