How to clean up your Kindle Fire

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Email this to someoneShare on LinkedIn

A lot of Amazon Kindle Fire users have been hit with a message about low storage space or less memory on their devices. One reason for this problem is that the apps that are installed on the Kindle Fire are running in background, performing certain operations that consume both memory and storage. There are few ways to solve this problem and clean up your Amazon Kindle Fire.

Recommended Resource: Kindle Fire HD: The Missing Manual

Use Kindle Cloud Storage

For people who don’t know, Amazon Kindle tablets come with Kindle Cloud Storage that is theoretically limitless. What you can do is

• Use Kindle Cloud Storage for storing files that you do not use regularly.
  • Only download stuff from the Cloud that you need.
  • Open “Apps” from the menu at the top of the Carousel home page
  • Toggle between “Cloud” and “Device” in the buttons at the top to see where your apps are

Free up space taken by apps’ private data

The apps that you download on your Kindle Fire take up additional space due to their background services that run constantly. You can remove the extra space taken by these apps by doing the following.

• Go to Menu by swiping down from top to bottom.
  • You will see options. Tap More.
  • Under More sub menu, go to Device and then Storage.
  • Scroll down to “Apps and Games.” Here you will see how much space apps have taken on your device.
  • Tap on Apps and Games and delete any app that you don’t need to have installed on the device (remember, it is safely stored in the “Cloud” for re-download later!).

Connect the device with PC and delete useless data
Another solution to this problem is to connect Kindle fire with PC using the mini-USB cable to see which files are present on the device. A lot of users find this solution helpful. A lot of files were shown on the PC and not visible in Kindle Fire. Just delete the files that you see after connecting your device. Several users found movie files this way that seemed invisible otherwise.

download
Use an app to clean up space and memory

There are few apps that are available in the app store that you can install to automatically clean up space and memory. One of them is Clean Master app. The app is great for few reasons

• The app itself is very small and takes just few MBs of space.
  • Unlike other apps, this app does not take up additional storage after installation.
  • Oh, did we forget to mention…it’s FREE! (get it HERE)

Just install the app on Kindle Fire and tap the App Manager button in order to see all the apps currently on your device and the amount of space they are taking up. Just tick the box next to each app you want to uninstall and then hit the big red button at the bottom of the screen to do so. If you want more information about the app, its terminology, and how to use it, tap the three vertical dots at the top right corner of the main screen, and select “FAQ”.

UPDATE (November 2015): Chuck writes in the comments that he uses the ES File Explorer app to manage space on his Kindle. Looks like a great alternative, allowing you to see exactly how much space is dedicated to each kind of media you have on your device. Check it out HERE.

Happy cleaning on your Kindle Fire!

You may also likeFive Ways to Improve Kindle Fire Battery Life (NEW!)

38 comments for “How to clean up your Kindle Fire

1. Will DeLamater
    April 7, 2017 at 7:35 am

Zane, have you tried looking for apps “not installed for this user”? These usually have all control buttons greyed-out. Look for the app “options” (usually 3 vertical dots) and tap that. You should see a menu item “Uninstall for all users”. Click that option to remove the app. Let me know if this helps!

2. Zane
    March 26, 2017 at 2:51 pm

I have had my Kindle Fire for over 5 years, and it has showed the storage warning multiple times, but it did so again recently. Now I have deleted almost all of my apps to try to fix this, yet it will not go away. I looked in storage, and my problem is that out of 5GB, 2.5 of them are used by “Other”. Is there an easy fix to this??? PLEASE HELP!!!!!

3. Karl
    February 1, 2017 at 10:29 am

Have charged my kindle for a day, on button was still red, and nothing worked. Knowing my 4 year-old I carefully dropped it on it’s top: yes it came back to life . Not recommended for a fix for anyone’s problem any time for anything!

4. Will DeLamater
    January 6, 2017 at 11:11 am

Hey, I’m not a resource on rooting the Fire TV, although there are plenty of folks willing to help with that if you Google it. Best wishes for success!

5. Will DeLamater
    January 6, 2017 at 10:55 am

Hi Angeline, Over time my Kindle Fire fills up with apps that I forgot that I even loaded. You can quickly free up some space for the Clean Master app by opening your “Apps” page with icons of all your loaded apps. Find the ones that you don’t use very often and hold your finger down on one of them. Then select “Remove from device.” If you do this enough times you will free up enough space for new apps. Of course, the app is still available in the “cloud” and can be restored to your device whenever you want. If you hold your finger on an app and are not given the option to remove, then that app is a system app loaded by Amazon before you got your Fire and it cannot be removed. I hope this answers your question.

6. Will DeLamater
    January 6, 2017 at 10:43 am

Hi Laina, Open one of the apps with the “not installed for this user” text so that you are viewing the app details; all buttons greyed-out. Look for the app “options” (usually 3 vertical dots) and tap that. You should see a menu item “Uninstall for all users”. Click that option to remove the app. Let me know if this helps!

7. Will DeLamater
    January 6, 2017 at 10:33 am

Hi Lisa, if I understand your question the answer is yes, as long as you have the basic apps like the browser, Amazon videos and music, and the Kindle Reader on your Fire you should be able to stream anything, usually through the browser. However, using apps like the Netflix app will give you a better experience than managing Netflix through the browser. Let me know if this addresses your issue.

8. 3rd party ads are evil
    January 3, 2017 at 11:10 pm

I have used almost no space having installed only “The Blaze” media app. In about 10 months the root’d Fire TV complains about critically low space suggesting removing all one of my apps. I do not use Kodi from FireOS.

This is the 2nd time this has happened: second device in “screw you mode” that will do nothing other than demand more space surrounded by abundant free space. Do I understand correctly there is no root solution for the new FireTV boxes?

I will not use android without root as third party ads or metrics are wholly unacceptable.

9. Lisa M Steele
    December 31, 2016 at 8:48 pm

Hi, all my aps are directly related to my fire, i dont play games, i check out 10 books at a time to listen to audio & retun right away no music sind i stream, dot, 4 of therm, & 1 echo, i serf the net & thats it, can i just disconnect all my tv asps and still sream on fire?

10. Laina
    December 20, 2016 at 2:07 pm

It it showing apps “not installed for this user”, and under media it is showing space used by “others” but it wont let me access the “other” user. I know its confusing, but can you help me figure out how to get this off of the kindle to free up space?

11. Angeline Barrile
    December 8, 2016 at 1:59 pm

I tried to download the Clean Master app, as I’m getting a warning on my Kindle Fire “low on memory.” It tells me though that it’s unable, that my Kindle isn’t compatible?? Do you have any other suggestions?

12. Paula Wood
    November 9, 2016 at 1:17 pm

thanks so much . . . i’ve actually started doing that because it worked when i downloaded new books . . . thanks for the help . . . much appreciated . . .

13. Will DeLamater
    November 7, 2016 at 10:20 am

Hi Paula, if you cleared space by removing the local copies of your books, you will have to load them onto the Kindle again. If you are having trouble doing that, go to Manage Your Devices and Content at the Amazon website and resend the books you want to the device again. Let me know if these work for you!

14. paula
    November 5, 2016 at 6:05 pm

i must’ve cleaned it too well, now my books won’t load-i can play games but not read my books-HELP . . .

15. Rosemary Osnato
    August 23, 2016 at 5:37 am

When I try to download the app you’ve mentioned it says it’s not compatible with my Kindle fire?

16. Disappointed
    August 4, 2016 at 3:57 am

My Kindle has 702MB of space being taken up by music that I don’t even have on my device. I have tried everything to free the space, and nothing works…not even the app download provided in the article. Does anyone know what to do? (Besides a factory reset, because that is definitely not an option).

17. Alex Anderson
    August 3, 2016 at 8:41 pm

I play mobile strike, my kindle fire shuts the game down very often like every 15 to 30 min. What can I do to fix this??? Please help, thanks in advance Alex

18. Kathy
    July 25, 2016 at 7:21 pm

When I try to watch a mover from show box I get a message saying we card full. I’m confused cos I haven’t put one in my kindle fire.

19. Dominic Bray
    July 20, 2016 at 2:30 pm

Hi I’m having real trouble with 8 inch kindle fire. I have two profiles on it, one for me and one for my kiddy. I also have a 32gb sd card in the fire and have set the fire to use the sd card for as much as possible.

The problem is the internal storage of 5.65 Gb is almost full, just 400 mb left.

I have installed clean master and run it, removed (or so it said) 10 of gb of junk, but freed not one bite on the internal storage.

I have pluged it into my pc and had a look at the internal storage, windows can only find 6.11 MB of data on it, though it reads as almost full.

I have reset it several times. All clean master has left to suggest is to remove things that are on the SD card.

I have few apps and my kids installed lots of stuff from the fire for kids unlimited. But I removed 900 mb of books it said was stored on internal media and still no improvement. I’m utterly dumbfounded.

20. Will DeLamater
    May 16, 2016 at 11:38 am

Hi, which book are you trying to download? Let me know and I will email it to you and fix the problem. Thanks!

21. davis 2nd kindle
    May 9, 2016 at 12:45 pm

i cannot get free ebooks to down load it say error in downloading

22. Will DeLamater
    February 2, 2016 at 3:20 pm

You are welcome! Run it every week or two and it will keep things tidy!

23. Madison
    January 23, 2016 at 3:16 pm

Thank you i had low storage and i got the clean master app you recomended
    and now i am all good thanks!

24. Will DeLamater
    November 17, 2015 at 11:41 am

Thanks Chuck! Please let us know what you find out about vestigial updates chewing up memory.

25. Chuck
    November 16, 2015 at 12:34 am

Suspect that the Kindle updates are cumulatively taking up a huge amount of storage, not actually overwriting previous update but “updating” while previous updates still take up memory. Investigating how to safely delete old updates. Using ES File Explorer. Above input excellent and appreciated.

26. William
    October 31, 2015 at 9:11 am

I’ve noticed that although I have my storage setting to automatically download apps and even music to my SD card it still stores more info to the kindle fire 7 internal storage… Is there any way to avoid this?

27. Ejan
    October 27, 2015 at 3:43 pm

i was going to get the clean master app but i cant as my kindle said storage is critically low and it turned off my internet! i deleted all my games and nothing happened, so there is invisible data in my kindle that i dont know about

28. Elaine
    October 25, 2015 at 11:16 pm

There is a large kindle update cache file. Is this safe to delete if the update has automatically run?

29. Will DeLamater
    August 9, 2015 at 4:11 pm

Try checking the data usage for each individual app by going to Settings–>Applications–>Installed Applications–>[app name here]. When you tap on the listing, you will see all the data accumulated for that app. You have the choice to clear it if you want. Remember, some of the data may be critical for ongoing use of the app, so clear with care! You can also clear the Cache from this screen.

30. April
    June 24, 2015 at 8:43 am

Hello,
    I have done all the cleaning that I can do, downloaded the amazon recommended app (similar to windows explorer, but for a Kindle Fire). The internal storage is all clear, yay! BUT… the APPLICATION STORAGE is still nearly full. I have looked every place I can think of with the file explorer and cannot find where this is stored. Please help!

31. Emma J
    June 7, 2015 at 5:47 pm

Hi Susan I was really dubious about downloading the Clean Master app but its great and has lots of extra tools, also if your deleting something, you shouldn’t it warns you of so, and if I haven’t used a app in a few weeks or more advises you to remove it, if its an Amazon app will stay in your cloud to download at later time. When you go into apps your cloud button is in the middle next to device with Store> to the right. Hope that help’s some? my Kindle fire is one of the first gen an is 16gb if your a member of OneDrive an dropbox + many other storage apps just have to make sure their synced to your device I also downloaded Battery Doctor

32. Will DeLamater
    June 7, 2015 at 8:26 am

Log files are a likely culprit. The Clean Master app mentioned in the article will help you identify and remove these. Other file management apps can help as well. Thanks for the comment!

33. helen
    May 18, 2015 at 4:03 am

I’m so annoyed I didnt see these comments before I deleted all my games argh!! lol

34. Susan
    April 21, 2015 at 4:11 pm

Hi, so when I go into apps nothing comes up about cloud or device? I bought the kindle for my kid and the storage is ridiculously bad, she has one game on it and 2 apps and I’m getting the storage full message. I contacted amazon once and they told me to reset it, that worked great but I shouldn’t have to be doing that every other day. System applications are taking up all the space and I don’t understand it. When I reset it went back to 300mb, now system applications is back to 1.45 gb. Why does it increase and what can I do about it?

35. Will DeLamater
    January 28, 2015 at 10:50 am

No programs will be removed without your permission. The app will clean up a bunch of temp files that the games generate, but I don’t know of any case in which a game itself was deleted. You may want to delete the ones you don’t play, but the app won’t do it automatically.

36. Emma J
    January 28, 2015 at 10:32 am

I keep getting low storage warning, so ive deleted my android assistant and another app and downloaded clean master, but im bit worried if i clean up Junk will delete my many game saves or will it not thanks

37. Peter Burke
    January 3, 2015 at 8:11 pm

Thanks Rey! I freed up a lot of space by following the above suggestions. You mentioned that additional storage can be acquired. How do I do that? Go to my amazon.com account? If so, where on the home page shall I be looking?

Hope you have a great 2015!

Best,

Peter

38. haley kershaw
    October 22, 2014 at 3:29 pm

The “other” folder that stores things on my kindle was so full from my son playing mindcraft that I couldn’t even use a browser with out a low storage warning message. I ended up resetting the kindle to the factory settings which completely emptied out everything. Go to your settings and select device then reset. This is an absolute solution :).

Comments are closed.